Saturday, March 7, 2009

Shopping with Derrick

Derrick has been in need of shoes for a while now, but because Oakley takes a late nap we haven't been able to go. Today was a day that finally worked out. We finally got everyone in the car and with promises of not fighting and we wont beg for anything and we know that Derrick is the only one getting shoes we headed off to the mall. We went into Famous Footwear to start our search. We got Derrick's feet measured and showed him the section of the store that had shoes his size. Well after about 10 minutes Derrick still hadn't shown any interest in any shoes. I asked him what was the problem. He said that "probably a lot of these shoes were too much money." I told him that first he had to pick some shoes and then we would see about the price. Matt said that he would walk around with him. He finally picked one pair of shoes. That was all. He tried them on and liked them fine. We asked him if he liked any other shoes. Finally we got him to understand that we can't read his mind and we don't know what they feel like on his feet so he was going to have to tell us what was going on. He stood there for a minute then said he couldn't see another pair that he liked. We told him that we could go to another store. So we headed off to another store. We tried Penney's. The same kind of thing happened. I don't see any shoes I like. Finally we found one that he was willing to try on. We asked the guy working in shoes if he could get the right size from the back. He said most of the sizes that they had were out on the rack. I started going through the shelves and found all the 3.5, got Derrick to sit down and put the shoes on his feet. I asked him to stand up and walk around for a minute. When he came back and sat down I asked him to tell me yes or no. He started into this "well I would probably" I said I just want a simple Yes or NO. After trying on about 10 pairs of shoes we had it down to 4. Now it was time to choose. He really liked the pair at the other store so that ruled out the two "skeeter" pair. That left the two athletic pairs. He couldn't make up his mind so I put one of each on his feet and had him walk around. Finally he made a choice!!!! Well back to the other store to get the first pair of shoes we had found. Meanwhile Sadie and Taelyn were asking over and over if they could have shoes. They would find ones they liked and show them to us. As we were waiting in line to get Derrick's shoes Matt finally said that Sadie could go look and shoes. She was more than thrilled. Well with Sadie's shoes happily tucked under her arm we headed off to buy the two pair. I walk around the aisle to find Matt and Taelyn sitting on the bench. Taelyn looking really sad saying that she was almost 5 and that meant that she should get shoes too. Well they didn't have any shoes that she liked that also had her size. So on to store number 3. We found 6 pairs that she just loved and now we had to narrow it down to 1. She didn't want to pick she said "Well Dad you can just get all of them" Dad so 1 pair and that was all. We finally found "The One." We got in line again (whos idea was it to go to the Mall on a Saturday). It was finally our turn and as we were getting Taelyn to bring her shoes up to the checkout, another lady and her daughter put their shoes on the counter. Matt turned to the lady and said " You must be in a bigger hurry then we are." The lady was embarrassed and felt bad, said sorry and found her place in line. Matt was only trying to lighten the situation but didn't choose the best thing to say. Well we were finally off to the truck with 4 pairs of shoes in tow. What a shopping experience.

1 comment:

  1. Amber neglected to say that I felt really, really horrible about what I said for the rest of the day.

    ReplyDelete